July 1, 2011
Strawberries! Make me think of summers when I was young, picking strawberries in my grandmother’s strawberry patch, then watching her whip them up into pies and jams. Who doesn’t love strawberry shortcake (doll or dessert), strawberry pie, or just some berries and cream? Me. I’m not the biggest fruit dessert fan and I was all “Barbies-or-bust” as a kid. So, what to do with all these strawberries? Grill them! Yes, turn strawberries into a savory appetizer perfect for the three days of sunny, grill-friendly weather this weekend.
These crostinis are perfect for a backyard barbecue – simple and perhaps a slightly unexpected use for all those berries. We’ve gone multi-media this week and have a how-to video of this recipe! But, for anyone not embracing You Tube just yet, we’ve got the recipe listed below.
Happy Fourth of July!
Balsamic Grilled Strawberries
Total Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Makes about 24 Crostini
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 quart strawberries
1/3 – 1/2 pound bleu cheese or goat cheese
Skewers for grilling (if you’re using wooden skewers, remember to soak them in water for about 45 minutes before using)
- Make crostini – Preheat oven to 450. Slice baguette into ¾ inch pieces, brush each slice with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toast in oven until crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make balsamic glaze – Pour balsamic vinegar in a saucepan or skillet, bring to a simmer and then reduce until you have about ¼ cup. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Hull and then slice strawberries in half, longwise. Skewer strawberries.
- Preheat grill to medium heat – about 375 degrees.
- Brush the skewered strawberries with balsamic glaze, olive oil salt and pepper. Place on grill (with the flat side of the cut strawberries down) and grill for about 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, spread bleu cheese on crostini.
- Top with a grilled strawberry. Serve!
If you want to make these more substantial, they are also great topped with rare seared filet.